PADI DIVE MASTER
The dive community expects several characteristics of an individual with the PADI Divemaster rating.
- Exemplary diving skills. The PADI Divemaster’s skills can be used as demonstrations for student divers.
- Rescue skill. The PADI Divemaster can prevent and manage accidents, and role model rescue skills for student divers in training.
- Professional-level knowledge of dive theory. Depth of theoretical knowledge goes hand-in-hand with expertise and professionalism. This is the foundation for problem solving and creativity in the divemaster’s duties, and for subsequent growth as a PADI Assistant Instructor.
- Competence as a certified assistant. PADI Divemasters know how to support instruction by handling logistical, supervisory and limited educational duties under an instructor’s supervision.
- Dive management and supervision abilities. PADI Divemasters accept appropriate, limited responsibility for certified divers within the context of leading or managing diving activities. This requires good people skills and good judgment along with a strong working knowledge of dive environments and activities. The PADI Divemaster assists the dive operation with risk management.